Skip to main content

Eastwood New Year Staycation

Sorry that I have not been updating my blog post (as if someone reads it  LOL). It's been almost three years I think since I last wrote here that's why I made it my New Year's resolution to fix up my blog and write more often. Don't be surprised if you see stories about my adventures for the past few years since I will be doing a lot of catching up. Let me begin with my Eastwood New Year Staycation.

Why Celebrate New Year in Eastwood? 

I chose Eastwood City because it is closer to my place making it more accessible and there's a free New Year Countdown concert. I was considering Mall of Asia since they also have a free concert, but I already felt tired just thinking of my travel time and traffic. I originally booked a hotel near Ayala, Makati thinking that they still have a street party. After doing some research, I think they already stopped doing it for a few years now so Eastwood it is!

Where to stay in Eastwood

Eastwood Richmond Hotel is the most ideal place to stay since it is connected to the mall so make sure to book months ahead since their rooms get booked out fast for the New Year. Another nearby hotel is Microtel by Wyndham Acropolis. The room rates here are cheaper, but you need to use the footbridge to get to Eastwood City and they don't have a pool as well.

If you have a tight budget, there are a lot of condominium units for rent in Eastwood, but they also get booked out fast so make sure to book as early as November. I use Airbnb since it is more secured and they can help you deal with the host in case you encounter any problems. If you don't have an account yet, use this link: www.airbnb.com/c/micz19 to get P 1,100 off on your first trip!

Since I searched a few days before New Year's Eve, all of the affordable condo units were already booked. Thankfully, there is an available unit at Aspire Tower located along Calle Industria. The host offered me a different unit because the one listed was already booked. The place was good for four people, but unfortunately my mom was not able to join us because she was sick. The one-bedroom unit was quite huge compared to SM Grass Residences. The place can actually fit in around 6 adults because there is a double bed, a couch in the room and three sofa beds.

The guards at the lobby and reception area won't give you a headache so check-in was quite smooth. Guests have free access to their gym, basketball court and swimming pool. It was too cold to swim and the jacuzzi wasn't working, but we still had a quick dip. We have to go back to the room to tend to the utility guy who fixed the broken bed. Yeah, just my luck. I got turned off seeing people swim with incorrect swimwear and eating at the poolside area. It seems like I was at the Laguna hot springs.

Here's a quick review of Aspire Tower

Pros: 

Value for money - rate is reasonable
Spacious - can fit in around 6 adults (it could accommodate 10 pax if staying with kids)
Complete toiletries - there are liquid hand soap, shampoo, body wash, and 4 rolls of toilet paper (not cheap brands).
Bidet and hot water - two things I always look for in a bathroom
Amenities - free access to the gym, pool and basketball court

Cons:

View - windows facing the unfinished building so there is ongoing construction
Distance - it's around 10-minute walk to Eastwood mall, no convenience store nearby, and not that safe to walk at night

What to do in Eastwood on New Year's Eve

Attend mass at Saint Pio Chapel 

Before the year ends, take time to give thanks to God for all the blessings you've received. The church is just a short walk away from Eastwood City beside Petron gas station and Honda. Some of my friends believe that all of their prayers were heard after going to this church. I was spiritually touched too when I went here.

Check out the giant Christmas tree 

While waiting for the New Year's Eve concert, explore the giant Christmas tree near the A Shop. You can enter inside the tree and be amazed by the lights surrounding you. It's actually trippy!

Find an affordable place to have a relaxing dinner

Since it's my first time to spend New Year's Eve in Eastwood, I didn't know it can be chaotic here once it reaches 10 p.m. I thought I can easily find a restaurant near the Eastwood mall concert venue, but everything's packed or the prices are really expensive -- minimum order is 1,500 per head...WTH!

My kid and I were tired and hungry so we just decided to go to Citywalk because it was less crowded and there's also a concert stage there for DJs. Restos are again packed facing the stage, but I saw Senor Pollo at the back of the stage and there's not much people eating there. Jackpot! I really like the artworks and food is delicious and affordable too. Staff were accommodating and even offered me a shot of tequila for free.
I guess my prayers were answered right away because the restaurant was the perfect spot to watch the fireworks and party. They have a veranda and the group of guys drinking there decided to go down and join the party when the New Year countdown began so we got the spot all to ourselves as we enjoyed watching the fireworks.

What to do in Eastwood on New Year's Day

If you decided to stay for another day in Eastwood because you were up all night partying, here are the other things you can do that won't cost you that much.

Watch the dancing fountain (please don't do what my kid did)

Photo op with the mascots, mimes and statues (just give them a tip except the statue of course)

Chillax at the coffee shop (the old school photo booth there reminded me of my childhood)

Costa Coffee Eastwood review: Barista can't seem to create a design on my coffee so he just got a metal shaper and poured cocoa on it. Been to other branches and I really like the coffee art. Their apple tart isn't that good as well so basically, not worth the money. The only thing I like is the interior, but I know their coffee is good in other branches.
There are other activities in Eastwood like bowling, billiards and amusement games but if you don't have any budget, you can just chill at the park and bond with your loved ones.

So here are some tips for those who are planning to spend New Year's Eve in Eastwood:
  1. Book a room as early as November and find a place within Eastwood City. 
  2. Get reservations at a restaurant. I recommend Peri Peri because they got seats facing the concert stage.
  3. Check how you can get tickets to the concert which you can see on their website or Facebook page. Usually you can exchange your receipts for tickets.
  4. Bring extra shirt or towel because it can get really hot getting caught in the crowd.
Where did you celebrate your New Year's Eve? Please share your stories and tips in the comment box below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MyHealth Clinic Takes Care of My Health

Getting sick is a real pain in the *** but to wait for a long queue in discomfort and end up with a list of expensive medicines to  buy would definitely make anyone feel more sick! I was glad I have a health card from work so that lessens my worry about the check up and laboratory expenses. I usually go to Medical City Clinic in Trinoma and Waltermart for the check-up but my experience there was not really that good especially in Waltermart, Munoz. The nurses there and attendants seem so laid back (which is a better term for being lazy) and busy chatting with each other. I waited for a long time (around 30 min.) just to have my Maxicare approved and after that I went to the nurse's station to give my papers but the girl was busy on her phone so the guy beside her placed my paper on her table and told me to wait for my name to be called. So I waited for my name to be called and it was almost an hour. I was really wondering why it would take that long just to have my blood extracted

Get A Taste of Hong Kong at Eat Fresh Restaurant

Holy Week is all about fasting, but it is really hard to do that when the food in front of you is tempting. Every Holy Thursday, it has been a family tradition to go on a Visita Iglesia. For those who don't know what that is, it is a religious practice of visiting at least seven churches and praying the Stations of the Cross. When we were younger, we used to visit like 14 churches and that's quite tiring. Today, it is faster with seven churches and more people are out of town taking advantage of the long weekend. After Visita Iglesia, with sadly a few family members getting sick because of heat and exhaustion, the rest decided to go to Eat Fresh Famous Hong Kong Street Food for late dinner. It was located along J.Abad Santos Street in San Juan near Xavier School and Wilson. From the outside, you wouldn't think that it is a restaurant because people choose the Hong Kong street food on stick displayed in front. I thought you would have to wait until they grill the f